Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April is "Autism Awareness" month

Here is a copy of what I posted on Facebook regarding autism awareness:

I wouldn't consider reading a cute little "autism awareness" slogan as truly being aware. There's so much more to it than knowing that these kids have language delays, social delays, and sensory issues.

Are you aware that having a child with autism means that I sometimes lie awake at night, my stomach in knots, wondering how things are going to be for my son when he's grown? He's 11...I only have a few more years before he's legally an adult. Will I be able to teach him enough, will he be able to *learn* enough, to function successfully on his own?

Are you aware that my heart breaks when I see little boys hanging out together, knowing that even though my son is as friendly as they come, he doesn't have the joy, the closeness, the comradery that comes along with having a best friend?

Are you aware that it tears me up to realize that maybe he would be doing even better if only I had been trying harder? My worst nightmare is to let him down, to fail him.

Are you aware that I am beyond thrilled that he still holds my hand in public? He has no idea that its not cool to hold your mom's hand and I love it! I love that I still get to give him hugs and kisses any time I want!

Are you aware that my heart just about bursts with pride when I hear my sweet boy say, "I did it, Mommy! I tried a bite of new food and I liked it!" (Even though he refuses to eat any more of it.) The little accomplishments feel so huge.

Are you aware that I love my son more than life itself?

He may have autism, but he is not autism. He is special, he is beautiful, he is Cade.

No comments: