Monday, January 26, 2009

So Sad and So Happy

First, the reason I'm sad: I'm torturing my little boy. :( Well, not really, bit I feel like it. My son has autism and is a very picky eater. And I mean picky. Like only pancakes, waffles, muffins, cheese pizza, chicken nuggets, french fries, applesauce and bananas picky. Poor kid refuses to eat anything else. A couple of weeks ago I went to a meeting on intensive feeding therapy for kids with autism. Basically she said as long as there are no medical reasons for self limiting foods (which he doesn't have), that we can get him to eat tons of new foods as long as we're focused and determined. Oh, and that's it's going to be a battle of the wills like no other. So far, she's right! lol We started with breakfast. I made scrambled eggs and peach slices. He actually chewed a piece of peach 2 times and then spit it out. That's huge for us! I was so darn proud! But since then he has refused to do more. Poor bubba, he's hungry and so whiney. I just keep reminding him that I know he doesn't want to try new foods but he needs them to make his body healthy. He says, "I can't have a healthy body!" Rotten child! ;) I'll make lunch in about an hour (turkey, avocado slices and blueberries) but I have a feeling he won' eat anything then either. Hopefully he'll be hungry enough to eat something by dinner (gluten free spaghetti with meatballs, green beans and purple grapes). Here's a picture of my beautiful son...it's so hard to see that sweet face sad.



Now here's why I'm so happy: I'm joining another challenge here in blogland. I'm telling you, I could join a challenge for every day of the week. These people think of some great, important things. Really. So this one is the James challenge. Sara over at Walk Slowly, Live Wildly has personally challenged herself to memorize the entire book of James by the end of 2009. I *love* the book of James. It's my favorite book of the Bible! About 5 years ago, I really struggled with my relationship with God. I was going through a rough time in life and was very far away in my walk with the Lord. (I now realize it was me that was running away and trying to hide although at the time, it felt like God had left.) Anyway, a friend asked me to sign up for a bible study with her at the church we were attending. I agreed to go, more to get out of the house than anything else. The study was on James. I remember reading, "draw near to me and I will draw near to you." I thought, huh? You mean I have to do the work? I thought God was supposed to make me want to be close to Him. I didn't know I had to make the first effort. That was eye opening for me. I started making an effort again (reading the Bible, praying, etc.) and wow! I felt the closeness of the Lord return so strong. It was awesome! So the book of James holds a special place in my heart. I'm definitely joining this challenge although I'm not positive I'll memorize the entire book. I will read, reread and read so me more so that I can hold His message close in my heart. Will you join us? :)

No comments: