Sunday, February 8, 2009

Book Update--Grace Based Parenting

So I started with Grace Based Parenting and I'm so glad I did. There's so much wisdom in this book that really resonates with me. And not only does it encourage me to be a grace based parent, it inspires me to be a grace based wife as well. So the book is about parenting with grace, which is the way God parents us. Tim Kimmel says that there are 3 fundamental, driving inner needs that all children have and that knowing these is key to being able to effectively groom your children for the future. And here was a "whoa" moment for me: he states that satan knows exactly what drives our children and "he is working even as you are reading this book to meet your child's three driving inner needs in counterfeit ways."

If we aren't processing everything we say or do through the filter of these three inner needs, we're going to have a difficult time upstaging the counterfeits that satan offers so effectively to our children. Raising your children in a spiritual cocoon won't help because satan operates inside it. He appeals to your child's hear. Plus, he isn't our only competition. The world system and our children's inner bent toward selfishness can also do a pretty good number on our efforts.


The three driving inner needs are:

1. A need for security
2. A need for significance
3. A need for strength


The purpose of the book is for us to learn how to meet those needs by giving our kids love, purpose and hope. I love this quote, "If we've done our job adequately, our children should leave our homes with a love that is secure, a purpose that is significant, and a hope that is strong."

That's all I'll go into for now. I've finished the first 3 chapters and there is so much good stuff in there that I want to share. I'll save it for another post, though! Tuesday I'll be participating in "Crafty Tuesdays" hosted by the Southern Housewife over at Her Southern Charm. I'm looking forward to it. I love crafting and it's even better when a bunch of people get together and share their creations. I get all kinds of inspiration when others share. I'm feeling kind of Valentine-y so I'm thinking I'll be making something with pink in it!

And now I'm off to attend a virtual baby shower. My good friend Monica is due in about 4 or 5 weeks and since she's moved to Japan, another friend is hosting a virtual baby shower online for her. Such a cool idea!

No comments: