Tuesday, February 17, 2009

WFMW


So many fabulous tips over at Rocks In My Dryer...go check 'em out!

***Disclaimer--this pretty much only works up to a certain age. Once your kids reach about 9 and up (earlier??), you can forget it! :)

My son is 7. He trusts me. As a matter of fact, he believes every. word. I say. Which is why I *never* lie to him. I do try to simplify things. And I stretch the truth just a teeny bit sometimes. And every once in awhile, I totally make something up. But I don't consider it lying! ;) For instance, the other evening he wasn't feeling well. He kept making weird faces and clearing his throat. I was hoping he wasn't about to puke. I hate the puke. Thankfully he didn't. I guess he just had a tickle or something but it was really bothering him. Drinking water wasn't helping at all. He didn't like it and was getting a little stressed out about it. So I simply told him that sometimes when you don't feel well, you really just need rest. Get some sleep and you'll feel better when you wake up. (Confession time...I meant it as maybe he should go to sleep for the night.) He believed me. And said he was ready to rest. So he layed down on the couch. Two minutes later, he popped up and said, "I'm all better! I rested and now my coughing is gone!" And you know what, it was!

Moral of the story: Sometimes you have to make up a story (not a lie) to help your child out. You just have to do it while they're still young enough to believe you! Worked for me!

Another picture of my handsome boy:

3 comments:

Angie said...

Your son is so cute! My son is only 18 months so I have lots of stories like this one in my future I'm sure!

AndreaLeigh said...

he is very handsome! i agree about always trying to be honest.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention that...last night I told my daughter that there weren't any monsters in her closet because I'd kicked them all out and told them to go live at the neighbor's house! Helped her fall asleep. :)